Sustaining the World’s freshwater ecosystems, while meeting the water demands of a growing population, will require a new brand of intellectually mobile and agile problem solvers. Our vision is to train future leaders with the skills necessary to address the challenges facing freshwater sustainability
Why is GW4 FRESH unique?
The GW4 FRESH CDT draws on a critical mass of internationally recognised scientists, including empiricists, experimentalists, modellers, and theoreticians in the field of freshwater bioscience and sustainability across levels of organisation from genes to ecosystems, and from microcosm to continental scales.
Our Common ethos is to provide a world-class research and training environment for these formative years of a career.
So what distinguishes the GW4 FRESH journey?
- GW4 FRESH is about choosing real life problems – that students will tackle with their academic supervisors but also with a stakeholder partner.
- GW4 FRESH is about an integrated approach to freshwater training – this means training in freshwater skills, for the first 6 months, but also training across multiple disciplines, throughout the PhD, so that each student has both in depth expertise and a breadth of experience across all the key challenges identified by GW4 FRESH.
- GW4 FRESH is about access to a unique pool of experts– so that the student will have flexibility in project progression after 6 months.
- GW4 FRESH is about employability – our doctoral academies are now all coordinated and aligned to Vitae under the GW4 agreements.
- GW4 FRESH is about tackling complex challenges – we will do this as a community, building on the inherently multidisciplinary Water Security Alliance community of academics and the practitioners who face these challenges.
If you think you have the innovative thinking skills necessary to help solve some of the world’s most important problems then click here to find out more about our fully funded studentships.